Monday, December 2, 2013

The very first blog

Earlier today, I was on my way to REI with a big ol' cardboard box in my arms, about to return $1600 worth of outdoor apparel when I saw a couple sitting on the ground cooking up none-other but sauted spinach delight!  And I thought to myself, "These people are cool."  Not just because they were eating Spinach Delight but because they were clearly living out of their van.  Before I knew it my feet had taken me and placed me smack dab in the living room of their van, which was also all the other rooms of their van.

Just to emphasize how cool they were, they did not freak out and start yelling at me to exit their home, waving wooden serving spoons at my behind.  We talked for a while and I found out they were just finishing a 3-month road trip starting in British Columbia and working down through the Southern United States and hitting up all the classic climbing crags they could count on callused knuckles.  Now they were leaving the van here for a while and catching a flight...to somewhere, I didn't ask.

It was, in the words of the 60's, a gas to see this couple doing what I've been dreaming of for a solid 6 months now and it really was a gas when they gave me a small jerry can with white gas they needed to get rid of, along with a book titled "Rock and Roll",  an overview of all the climbing sites in the U.S.

Besides that, reclaiming $1600 from REI, backing all the way down a narrow road in D.C. with the Sparkle Pony (what we have decided to name our Sprinter van), and picking up our soon-to-be bed (though Delilah doesn't know it yet), I also brushed my teeth twice today!

And that ends "The very first blog."  Thanks. -Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment